Day 18: You're influenced

Today was spent mostly driving back to reality after the long Thanksgiving weekend. It was great to spend time with family, see new places and not think about work for a few hours at a time. A lot of this time was spent creating new memories, while a fair amount was catching up after nearly a year without much time together. But this morning something hit me as I listened to my mom talk during breakfast.

Day 18: No matter how old you get, there will always be an influence in your life from your family. Recently, Daniel has been pointing out how often I say "rediculous!" in normal conversation. As I listened to my mom, I heard that same expression appear several times. And the night before I had noted how often my sister said the same thing. That may sound like we talk often and pick it up from each other, but I assure you, we don't chat often enough for that. 

I know it sounds like a very minor thing, but it sent me into a retrospective moment. I am very blessed to have been raised in an incredible family. I would be proud to sound like either of my parents, my brother or my sister. In fact, most of my life I dreamed of growing up to be like all of them. Of course I'm glad that I turned out how I did, but even with their influence, no one is perfect. I know there are many people who have had a much more difficult childhood. It's an enormous challenge to break family cycles, and I admire the strength of those who do it. If you know someone like this, take a moment out of your life to let them know how proud you are of them for being incredible. I know I have a few calls to make.